For first time Austin visitors, here are some activities we recommend if you will be staying the weekend:
Strip of restaurants and eclectic shops, perfect view of the Texas State Capitol
A three hour tour of some south Austin breweries.
Our favorite brewery (not included in the tour)
A Show at Esther's Follies:
Esther's Follies is a modern-day vaudeville theatre located on 6th Street in downtown Austin. Acts incorporate magic, juggling, singing, dancing, and sketches on current events (think SNL skits + Magic).
Shows are at 8pm and 10pm on Saturdays.
- Firehouse Lounge - You walk through a book shelf to enter this speakeasy.
- Péché - don't eat here, just drink
- Hopdoddy Burger Bar - Gourmet burgers/fries/shakes, good beer and cocktail selection
- Clark's Oyster Bar - Though it is a seafood restaurant, the burger is to die for.
- La Barbecue - We'd never tell you to stand in line for 3 hours at Franklin BBQ (the best BBQ in Austin), but the chef at La Barbecue is from Franklin, and the BBQ is pretty comparable.
- Home Slice Pizza - Awesome pizza, located on South Congress
Austin is overcrowded, so all the popular spots will have a wait. If you want to avoid the wait, we'd recommend an early/late lunch or dinner.
For more fun in Austin, click the link below: